Re: [Tigers] More Frame questions - with PDF for your viewing

To: daniel doornbos <dan_doornbos@hotmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] More Frame questions - with PDF for your viewing
From: Gary Winblad via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 15:42:35 -0700
--===============8211432244452049811==
 boundary="------------BAD80542AA54A91F2E70B1FC"

--------------BAD80542AA54A91F2E70B1FC

Hi Dan,
The radiator core support is NORMAL..  it should be slanted up at the
top also.
Now I see what you are worried about (passenger frame rail) and I think
you are
probably right, it is bent.  I just went out and looked at mine, its on
my lift but the
car is fully assembled and with headers so it is hard to really see..
But both sides
look totally symetrical as far as I can see.  If yours got hit hard in
the passenger
side rail, I could see how it could kink right at the bend behind the
crossmember
so it would get more "vertical" like you point out.  Try measuring from
rear spring
mount forward to crossmember mount hole on each side, the car may be
"shorter"
on the passenger side...?
Paul Reisentz has a lot of customer cars fixed.  He tells me that once
they are on
the frame machine, it only usually only takes an hour to fix things like
that... Now IS
the time to get it fixed!  I do now think I remember your car had extra
holes put in
the frame extensions behind the bumper/jack mounts.   That would be the
place to
pull it back out I would think.  Maybe they actually correctly bent it
back but just
didn't bother to put the bends in just the right places?  I am actually
interested in how
yours turns out because my second Tiger was hit in the drivers side (has
new fender,
grill and valence) and I think I may have a similar type residual damage!
In your first pictures, it looked like some damage where the driver side
frame rail
connects with the inner fender.. looked like it may actually be broken
apart and there
is daylight showing under the horn mount, where it shouldn't be!  I
would think that
the inner fender provides a lot of the front strength and should be in
good condition.
I remembered your car had some huge ugly flares but they don't look
nearly as bad
(my opinion only) as I remembered.  Your car looks so much better than
the rusty ones
that Paul is restoring these days!
Gary

On 9/1/2016 10:27 AM, daniel doornbos via Tigers wrote:

> All,  I've taken some better pictures (still not great but hope they
> will do) and put it together in a PPT then to PDF format.  If anyone
> with detailed experience would care to review and provide feedback on
> what I suspect is damage vs. what might actually be stock factory
> construction it would be appreciated.  Also note in last e-mail I
> called out the drivers side but I mixed with the car sitting on it's
> side.  The suspect damage is on the passenger side (or top of the car
> with it on it's side).
>

> I'm trying to get a better opinion because;
>
>   * I don't actually know what this should look like
>       o Is NOTHING wrong?  The crossmember did drop right out of the
>         car without any issues.
>       o   The passenger wheel does look OK centered in the fender (but
>         I've never seen the car at proper ride height with a drive
>         train in it.
>   * Should passenger/drive be symmetrical?
>   * Do I have it wrong and what I think is a problem in the passenger
>     but could the drivers side be wrong?
>
> Also on the last page is a picture of the lower radiator surround.  At
> the passenger side it's only an 1" high and drivers side its almost 3"
> (estimates).  Is this stock?  I don't see an obvious repair or bend
> here but seems very strange that it wouldn't be same height all the
> way across.
>

> thanks again
>
> dan
>

> PS.  Hopeing the Autox mail manger correctly strips off the attachment
> and provides a link to it.  Please let me know if it doesn't and I'll
> find a public sharing source.

--------------BAD80542AA54A91F2E70B1FC

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Hi Dan,<br>
    The radiator core support is NORMAL..  it should be slanted up at
    the top also.<br>
    Now I see what you are worried about (passenger frame rail) and I
    think you are<br>
    probably right, it is bent.  I just went out and looked at mine, its
    on my lift but the<br>
    car is fully assembled and with headers so it is hard to really
    see..   But both sides<br>
    look totally symetrical as far as I can see.  If yours got hit hard
    in the passenger<br>
    side rail, I could see how it could kink right at the bend behind
    the crossmember<br>
    so it would get more "vertical" like you point out.  Try measuring
    from rear spring<br>
    mount forward to crossmember mount hole on each side, the car may be
    "shorter"<br>
    on the passenger side...?<br>
    Paul Reisentz has a lot of customer cars fixed.  He tells me that
    once they are on<br>
    the frame machine, it only usually only takes an hour to fix things
    like that... Now IS<br>
    the time to get it fixed!  I do now think I remember your car had
    extra holes put in<br>
    the frame extensions behind the bumper/jack mounts.   That would be
    the place to<br>
    pull it back out I would think.  Maybe they actually correctly bent
    it back but just<br>
    didn't bother to put the bends in just the right places?  I am
    actually interested in how<br>
    yours turns out because my second Tiger was hit in the drivers side
    (has new fender,<br>
    grill and valence) and I think I may have a similar type residual
    damage!<br>
    In your first pictures, it looked like some damage where the driver
    side frame rail<br>
    connects with the inner fender.. looked like it may actually be
    broken apart and there<br>
    is daylight showing under the horn mount, where it shouldn't be!  I
    would think that<br>
    the inner fender provides a lot of the front strength and should be
    in good condition.<br>
    I remembered your car had some huge ugly flares but they don't look
    nearly as bad<br>
    (my opinion only) as I remembered.  Your car looks so much better
    than the rusty ones<br>
    that Paul is restoring these days!<br>
    Gary<br>
      via Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:BY2PR16MB088699C8C77946127CB32509FDE20@BY2PR16MB0886.namprd16.prod.outlook.com"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} --></style>
style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
          hope they will do) and put it together in a PPT then to PDF
          format.  If anyone with detailed experience would care to
          review and provide feedback on what I suspect is damage vs.
          what might actually be stock factory construction it would be
          appreciated.  Also note in last e-mail I called out the
          drivers side but I mixed with the car sitting on it's side.
           The suspect damage is on the passenger side (or top of the
          car with it on it's side).</p>
        <ul>
          <li><span style="font-size: 12pt;">I don't actually know what
              this should look like</span><br>
            <ul>
                wrong?  The crossmember did drop right out of the car
                without any issues.</li>
              <li><span style="font-size: 12pt;">  The passenger wheel
                  does look OK centered in the fender (but I've never
                  seen the car at proper ride height with a drive
train</span><span
                  style="font-size: 12pt;"> in it.</span></li>
            </ul>
          </li>
          <li><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Should passenger/drive be
              symmetrical?  </span><br>
          </li>
          <li><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Do I have it wrong and what
              I think is a problem in the passenger but could the
              drivers side be wrong?</span><br>
          </li>
        </ul>
            sans-serif, &quot;Apple Color Emoji&quot;, &quot;Segoe UI
            Emoji&quot;, NotoColorEmoji, &quot;Segoe UI Symbol&quot;,
            &quot;Android Emoji&quot;, EmojiSymbols; font-size:
16px;"></span></p>
          surround.  At the passenger side it's only an 1" high and
          drivers side its almost 3" (estimates).  Is this stock?  I
          don't see an obvious repair or bend here but seems very
          strange that it wouldn't be same height all the way across.  </p>
          attachment and provides a link to it.  Please let me know if
          it doesn't and I'll find a public sharing source.   </p>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net</a>

</pre>