Re: [Tigers] dual circuit master cylinder options?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] dual circuit master cylinder options?
From: Tom Hall via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 09:23:23 -0700

--------------6FD037675A8D8B9C88031EC1

On 4/16/2019 6:58 AM, Richard Hyatt via Tigers wrote:

> HI,
>
> I wondered if any had converted their tiger to a dual circuit brake
> master cylinder. If so, which type and year worked well for you. Two
> issues seem to be plaguing my attempt to do this. I tried using a 1980
> Datsun 280z master cylinder, This uses a loose rod to actuate it
> meaning the brake deal must have a stop  or a custom push rod and
> modification to the master cylinder to keep the rod in place when
> letting off the brake pedal. The second issue is that I had all custom
> brake lines made for my conversion to Wilwood disks all around but 2
> attempts to get correct flare/fitting combination at the new master
> cylinder have failed. Still have leaks. Not sure if the supplier has
> used proper flare and fitting despite the info I provided. Any
> thoughts on a better arrangement? Thanks.
>
> Rick

Dear Rick,

I make modified Brake Pedal Kits for Tigers that change the mechanical
pedal ratio from the factory 4.4:1 to 6:1.  This is change is
approximately what the Girling vacuum booster system provides.  I supply
dual master cylinders as part of the kits I supply.  I have cylinders
from 13/16 bore up to 1" bore.  Part of my kit is a retainer plate that
captures the custom actuation rod I supply, so that it minimizes the
free play and eliminates the possibility of the actuation rod falling
free of the master cylinder (not a good situation).

I have the Eastwood Forming Tool to make proper flares on the ends of
the brake tubing.  I can also supply appropriate fittings (without flare
requirements) that allow splicing your custom brake tubing below the
master so that you can change just the stub going to the master.  BTW
the Datsun cylinders require a 10 mm nut to complete the master
connection.  If you are using the 3/8-24 OEM style connectors, that
could be part of your problem.  I can supply you with stubs of
pre-flared tubing, the proper 10 mm nuts, and non flare fittings to
allow you to splice them into your existing tubing.  If any of this
sounds like it will help you, call or email me and we can discuss this
privately.

--
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC

--------------6FD037675A8D8B9C88031EC1

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:02f101d4f45c$79426530$6bc72f90$@atmospherebuilders.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          to a dual circuit brake master cylinder. If so, which type and
          year worked well for you. Two issues seem to be plaguing my
          attempt to do this. I tried using a 1980 Datsun 280z master
          cylinder, This uses a loose rod to actuate it meaning the
          brake deal must have a stop  or a custom push rod and
          modification to the master cylinder to keep the rod in place
          when letting off the brake pedal. The second issue is that I
          had all custom brake lines made for my conversion to Wilwood
          disks all around but 2 attempts to get correct flare/fitting
          combination at the new master cylinder have failed. Still have
          leaks. Not sure if the supplier has used proper flare and
          fitting despite the info I provided. Any thoughts on a better
          arrangement? Thanks.<o:p></o:p></p>
      mechanical pedal ratio from the factory 4.4:1 to 6:1.  This is
      change is approximately what the Girling vacuum booster system
      provides.  I supply dual master cylinders as part of the kits I
      supply.  I have cylinders from 13/16 bore up to 1" bore.  Part of
      my kit is a retainer plate that captures the custom actuation rod
      I supply, so that it minimizes the free play and eliminates the
      possibility of the actuation rod falling free of the master
      cylinder (not a good situation).  <br>
      ends of the brake tubing.  I can also supply appropriate fittings
      (without flare requirements) that allow splicing your custom brake
      tubing below the master so that you can change just the stub going
      to the master.  BTW the Datsun cylinders require a 10 mm nut to
      complete the master connection.  If you are using the 3/8-24 OEM
      style connectors, that could be part of your problem.  I can
      supply you with stubs of pre-flared tubing, the proper 10 mm nuts,
      and non flare fittings to allow you to splice them into your
      existing tubing.  If any of this sounds like it will help you,
      call or email me and we can discuss this privately.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
5712 San Luis Court