[Tigers] Coolant recovery system

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Coolant recovery system
From: H B Elam via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:18:26 -0400
In 1990 I towed a small trailer from Newport RI to San Diego CA in August.
Since it was a permanent change of station I had the hardtop on. While it never
boiled over the temp gage lived over 210 degrees. While in Long Beach I took
the coolant overflow/recovery tank from my 1977 Ford LTD wagon and mounted It
under the the left front fender behaving the headlight using plumbers mounting
straps. It is still there today and working. I judge â??workingâ?? by comparing
the hot running tank level to the cooled off level. No originality or tech
inspector has ever mentioned it. Adding water to the tank is difficult since
access to the original cap was OBE. Since then I have, first had an original
radiator recored with core packs from fork trucks. That worked but still needed
help. Then currently I have a Griffin aluminum radiator. Problem solved. 90 mph
on a 90 degree F day no problem. Stop and go idling in at 2 hour parade still
good.
Harry Elam
B382000471
TAC insp #37