Re: [Tigers] Radiator Cap

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Radiator Cap
From: Ken Tisdale via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:03:33 -0600
References: <CAKb_wfkEtv-xaq0+3JXht7cw9SJ8Bd_XXWcy1a5FKph5bNCRVg@mail.gmail.com> <20210728172153.3AFF450F@m0117117.ppops.net> <000501d78486$eced7cb0$c6c87610$@bluefrog.com> <CAKb_wfk0hgX0H-i6z7nunr0t2niCjhKo3eVXcekLbM0du4_i+Q@mail.gmail.com> <1770300665.1922693.1629309936369@mail.yahoo.com> <CAET8snUmu8RgK8sak8h9Kg1GSmnSgoiw=2xgEG158hn97rqwjA@mail.gmail.com> <b1d51879-d6ec-7f8b-5cc5-c43dcae05abe@comcast.net> <001701d79510$451f3f10$cf5dbd30$@bluefrog.com> <CAKb_wfk4R2P3CigYn33qskP1GVyKSYk_2_RT2dDiBa00VyYpOw@mail.gmail.com> <03619EB9-C4AE-41BD-837F-68D6FE718D72@sbcglobal.net>
--------------2381E5328EA24EAC13DA0D62
 boundary="------------71D6B125D65E687983F935BB"

--------------71D6B125D65E687983F935BB

Very nice!

Ken

On 8/19/2021 10:00 AM, Donald Antilla via Tigers wrote:

> Here is what I did on my Series 200 Griffith.
>
> I wanted to hide the overflow tank, so we (Bob Cuneo) took an old fire
> extinguisher, cut/sectioned/welded it so it would fit (on the
> Griffith) close to the tubular frame and not be obvious.
>
> It is difficult to see in the photo labeled â??surge tank installedâ?? how
> well it hides, but it is really hard to spot. Note: I had the red cap
> reanodized black to make it less obvious.
>
> Don
>
> For a coolant recovery system I'm currently using my old original
> washer bottle mounted in the bracket that originally held the remote
> oil filter.  I would like to come up with a different solution that I
> can mount to the inner fender in front of the expansion tank.  I'm
> concerned that the plastic washer bottle in its current location up
> against the engine might suffer from the heat. Moss Motors has an
> overflow bottle for a Triumph that wouldn't look out of place in the
> Tiger, https://mossmotors.com/overflow-bottle-1
> <https://mossmotors.com/overflow-bottle-1>. But the bracket is kind of
> pricey.  I might try to make my own bracket.
>
> Have Fun,
>
> Joe Brown
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:39 AM Ron Fraser via Tigers
>
>     This has been a wonderful discussion.   Please include any
>     manufacturer and part number when you find good workable parts for
>     any area on the Tiger.   We also need to know possible bad part
>     numbers too.   We all need that kind of information on hand for
>     future reference.
>
>     I still recommend a coolant recovery system to everyone then you
>     know exactly when and how much coolant is moving back and forth
>     through the system.
>
>     Make it a simple setup that can easily be removed if judging is
>     your priority.
>
>     Personally, I prefer not to pollute the ground with coolant of any
>     kind and I really donâ??t want coolant possibly spraying onto my
>     tire while driving or stopping.
>
>     Ron Fraser

Ken Tisdale 303-807-5488

--------------71D6B125D65E687983F935BB

  <head>
  </head>
      via Tigers wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:03619EB9-C4AE-41BD-837F-68D6FE718D72@sbcglobal.net">
        medium)">
        {font-family:Helvetica;
        panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:"Times New Roman \(Body CS\)";
        panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Consolas;
        panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}pre
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        margin:0in;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Courier New";}span.HTMLPreformattedChar
        {mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
        font-family:Consolas;}span.EmailStyle21
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style>

style="font-size:16.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Here
            is what I did on my Series 200 Griffith.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            style="font-size:16.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I
            wanted to hide the overflow tank, so we (Bob Cuneo) took an
            old fire extinguisher, cut/sectioned/welded it so it would
            fit (on the Griffith) close to the tubular frame and not be
            obvious.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            style="font-size:16.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">It
            is difficult to see in the photo labeled â??surge tank
            installedâ?? how well it hides, but it is really hard to spot.
            Note: I had the red cap reanodized black to make it less
            obvious.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:16.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:16.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Don<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:16.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            currently using my old original washer bottle mounted in the
            bracket that originally held the remote oil filter.  I would
            like to come up with a different solution that I can mount
            to the inner fender in front of the expansion tank.  I'm
            concerned that the plastic washer bottle in its current
            location up against the engine might suffer from the heat.
            Moss Motors has an overflow bottle for a Triumph that
            wouldn't look out of place in the Tiger, <a
              href="https://mossmotors.com/overflow-bottle-1";

moz-do-not-send="true">https://mossmotors.com/overflow-bottle-1</a>.
            But the bracket is kind of pricey.  I might try to make my
            own bracket.<o:p></o:p></p>
              Fraser via Tigers &lt;<a
                href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
            1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in
            6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">This
                  has been a wonderful discussion.   Please include any
                  manufacturer and part number when you find good
                  workable parts for any area on the Tiger.   We also
                  need to know possible bad part numbers too.   We all
                  need that kind of information on hand for future
                  reference.<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
                  style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">I
                  still recommend a coolant recovery system to everyone
                  then you know exactly when and how much coolant is
                  moving back and forth through the system.<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Make
                  it a simple setup that can easily be removed if
                  judging is your priority.<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Personally,
                  I prefer not to pollute the ground with coolant of any
                  kind and I really donâ??t want coolant possibly spraying
                  onto my tire while driving or stopping.<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
                  style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Ron
                  Fraser<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
                    1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><b>From:</b>
                      Tigers &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net";
                        target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                      <b>To:</b> michael king &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:michael.s.king@gmail.com";
                        target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">michael.s.king@gmail.com</a>&gt;;
                      Douglas Lyle &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:douglasalyle@yahoo.com";
                        target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">douglasalyle@yahoo.com</a>&gt;<br>
                      <b>Cc:</b> Tigers Den &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";
                        target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                      <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Tigers] Radiator Cap<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
                  style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;margin-bottom:12.0pt">Or
                  you were just over filling it.<br>
                  It is normal for the Tiger to blow out the little hose
                  until it gets down to where it needs to be.<br>
                  Gary<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">On
                    8/18/2021 11:38 PM, michael king via Tigers
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">doug
                    sounds like the spring wasnt strong enough or that
                    perhaps very slightly to shallow?<br>
                    On Thursday, 19 August 2021, Douglas Lyle via Tigers
                    &lt;<a href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";
                      target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
                    #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5.0pt">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica">Joe, I've had two
                              failures with those Scott Drake caps.
                              They were about 10 years apart.    Both
                              failed soon after installation.    The 10
                              year gap was because I had forgotten that
                              the first one failed and then 10 years
                              later I bought another and it also
                              failed.    Ended up finding an NOS cap and
                              that solved the problem.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica">Both Scott Drake caps
                              were allowing coolant to puke out after
                              short drives.   Dimensions looked
                              identical.   Your results may vary.  Just
                              keep an eye on it.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica">Doug</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">On
                                Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 10:21:47 AM
                                PDT, Joe Brown &lt;<a
                                  href="mailto:jbbrown1980@gmail.com";
                                  target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">jbbrown1980@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                                wrote: </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">I have an
                                      update on my quest to find a
                                      radiator cap.  I wound up ordering
                                      a Scott Drake Mustang cap from CJ
                                      Pony Parts and it fits really
                                      well.  And since my temp gauge was
                                      always pegged out really high I
                                      installed a mechanical temp gauge
                                      from Summit on my Edelbrock
                                      intake.  After idling for about 20
                                      minutes the temp never got over
                                      190.  Now I need to take it out
                                      for a long drive and see how it
                                      does. </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Thanks for
                                        all of MKdoug soijds info from
                                        everybody.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Thanks,</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Joe
Brown</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">On Thu, Jul
                                          29, 2021 at 9:35 AM Ron Fraser
                                          &lt;<a
                                            href="mailto:rfraser@bluefrog.com";
                                            target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">rfraser@bluefrog.com</a>&gt;
                                          wrote:</span><o:p></o:p></p>
                                      style="border:none;border-left:solid
                                      #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5.0pt">

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Jim

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">
                                              Thank you for the
                                              pictures.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">It
                                              appears I have the MOPAR
                                              5220487 Filler cap â?? good
                                              to know.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">This
                                              also indicates that any
                                              522xxxx number in the
                                              Parts List is a Chrysler
                                              part number â??
excellent.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Ron
                                              Fraser</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="border:none;border-top:solid
                                              #E1E1E1
                                              1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in
                                              0in 0in">

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> jimdamelio
                                                  &lt;<a

href="mailto:jimdamelio@verizon.net";
                                                    target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">jimdamelio@verizon.net</a>&gt;
                                                  <b>Sent:</b>
                                                  Wednesday, July 28,
                                                  2021 8:11 PM<br>
                                                  <b>To:</b> Joe Brown

moz-do-not-send="true">rfraser@bluefrog.com</a>&gt;<br>
                                                  <b>Cc:</b> Tigers Den
                                                  &lt;<a

href="mailto:Tigers@autox.team.net";
                                                    target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">Tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                                                  <b>Subject:</b> Re:
                                                  [Tigers] Radiator
Cap</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Attached
                                                are pictures of the 9lb
                                                cap 5220487, 13lb cap
                                                1224818 and a 13lb
                                                chrome Motorcraft cap.
                                                The 9lb cap measures 1"
                                                from inside base to tip
                                                of plunger while both
                                                13lb caps measure
                                                1-1/8". </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A">Jim
                                                D</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#26282A"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:#575757">Sent
                                                  from my
Galaxy</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Helvetica;color:black">--------