Re: [Tigers] Brake rotor turning

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake rotor turning
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 11:18:19 -0700

--------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6

Andy I asked a similar question back in 2002 and others continued the
discussion. I'll paste the relevant reply here in /italic/ and then
comment at the end.

/I had a few folks ask me to get back with them if I found anything on
the rotors, therefore I'll post the answer. Below is a definitive
response from Dan. My new favorite parts store, owned by two brothers
who are not on computer and still have all sorts of catalogs for parts
going back to the 60s looked up the rotors and told me the very
technical answer, "book says throw out at .310". I have not researched
the drums yet... actually, I still haven't got them to let go of the
hubs, but I'm in no rush. Matt -----Original Message----- From: Dan &
Lori Fitzgerald [//mailto:danlorifitz@earthlink.net//] Sent: Monday, September
09, 2002 8:57 PM To: Matthew Bouchelle
Subject: Re: Brake rotor min. thickness Matt, The new rotors are .500
inch and the minimum is .375 inch. The data came from a factory service
bulletin. Hope this helps. Dan /

Today's (5-2-22) comment: I took my rotors to Pep Boys back in 2002 and
the guy there (a Triumph owner) turned them for me. I can't remember if
they were already in the .440-.450 range or that is what they were
turned to. At the time the list said the .375 size (much less the .310
size) stated in the email from Matt was said to be way too thin (I would
agree). And, I'm not sure where the person named Dan got this factory
service bulletin from? As a general rule .040-.060 under original size
is a common number. Anyway, I had a second set of rotors and I dashed
them over to PB the same day thinking this might be the only chance that
someone will turn them. Others had indicated that without a modern spec
available many places refused to turn them. I don't know the
availability of new rotors. This is a "do at your own (and others) risk"
thing but measure your rotors then find a rotor that is similar in the
size you measure. Tell them they are rotors for that similar sized
vehicle. It may be the only way you get them turned because they likely
lack data on the Tiger and might say No! Just remember that this is a
compromised means that limits the braking capability but if no other
rotors are available it seems better than nothing.

On 5/2/2022 10:10 AM, Andy Walker via Tigers wrote:

> Hey, guys:
>
> My Tiger appears to have a very slight warpage in one or both front
> brake rotors.  Consequently, Iâ??d like to have them turned and trued
> up.  Does anyone know what the spec is as to how far the rotors can
> safely be turned before they should be discarded?  I have absolutely
> no idea if my rotors have ever been turned, but itâ??s probably safe to
> assume that they have been at some point.  Any guidance would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Andy Walker
>
> Edmond, OK

--------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6

  <head>
  </head>
        back in 2002 and others continued the discussion. I'll paste the
        relevant reply here in <i>italic</i> and then comment at the
        end.</font></p>
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""><i>I had a few folks ask me to get back
with them if I found anything on the
rotors, therefore I'll post the answer.  Below is a definitive response from
Dan.  My new favorite parts store, owned by two brothers who are not on
computer and still have all sorts of catalogs for parts going back to the
60s looked up the rotors and told me the very technical answer, "book says
throw out at .310".  I have not researched the drums yet... actually, I
still haven't got them to let go of the hubs, but I'm in no rush.

Matt

The new rotors are .500 inch and the minimum is .375 inch.  The data came
from a factory service bulletin.  Hope this helps.

Dan

</i></pre>
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""><font size="4">Today's (5-2-22) comment:
[...]

      Tigers wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d85e47$785b54d0$6911fe70$@cox.net">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          warpage in one or both front brake rotors.  Consequently, Iâ??d
          like to have them turned and trued up.  Does anyone know what
          the spec is as to how far the rotors can safely be turned
          before they should be discarded?  I have absolutely no idea if
          my rotors have ever been turned, but itâ??s probably safe to
          assume that they have been at some point.  Any guidance would
          be appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a>

</pre>

--------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6--

--===============4718322823889731148==