Re: GT-6 Rear end thingys

To: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien), Silikal@aol.com, meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT-6 Rear end thingys
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 15:36:30 -0700
There are two other solutions used in the competition world to prevent
collateral damage from exploding rubber donuts. I've never gotten around to
exploring the application of either to a GT6+:

Various ALFAs have a rubber donut tying together the two halves of a fairly
long driveshaft. ALFA Ricambi sells a two-part cover that bolts over the
whole assembly to keep the bits inside and the pieces together.

Along with some front steering pieces, the Lotus Elan shares rotoflex
couplings in the rear. Dave Bean Engineering sells some sort of adapter
that is basically a pin and socket that locate/retain the centers of the
axle halves. (It's never been clear if you install this yourself or swap
for a converted unit.)

If anyone would like to pursue these, I can give you more details. Both
seem *MUCH* more elegant than welding loops into an already crowded rear
end.