Re: The sun shines...........BUT NOT FOR ME !!!! (fwd)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The sun shines...........BUT NOT FOR ME !!!! (fwd)
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 10:43:57 +0100
Cc: Lennart.Broekhof@Holland.Sun.COM
In article <9505030949.AA03133@bandbox.Holland.Sun.COM>,
Lennart.Broekhof@Holland.Sun.COM (Lennart Broekhof) wrote:
> Yesterday evening I was driving with my Vitesse and suddenly the diff
> made a terrifying noise :-( and the gearbox rattled like hell.
> I also lost the drive (?) to the wheels.
> I could switch gears, and when I let the clutch-pedal come up the engine
> turned off. (Same thing what will happen if you forget to release the
> hand-brake.)

Did the wheels lock up too?

> With the clutch-pedal up in it's free position the car rattles somewhere
> at the end of the propeller shaft/gearbox which rattle stops as soon as
> I push the clutch-pedal.
> I was able to roll the car without blocking or having any noise from the
> diff.
> When the engine was still warm I could switch gears but since the engine
> is cold I can't switch gears anymore.
> Does anyone have any experience with this ?
> Are the diff and gearbox really dead now ?
> And what about the overdrive, is it possible that the OD also died in the
> line off fire ??

I would guess that one of the components have died. *Normally*, the
other components survive such incidentes pretty well.

I'd suggest that you remove the prop-shaft at the gearbox end. Since
the wheels move, you should be able to rotate the propshaft too, so
that should be difficult. Now start up the engine and do the checks
all over again. If the symptoms are the same, your gearbox (or OD)
have failed. Gearbox is most likely, I'd say. I think it is somewhat
strained on the Vitesse.

Otherwise, the differential is to blame (or drive shafts or propeller
shaft, but thats normally pretty obvious).

After having removed the gearbox, have a look at the clutch also.

Dismantling the gearbox is pretty straight forward, just follow
the book. Damages are usually pretty obvious! Look for broken
cogs and other general damage. Trouble is, broken parts have a
nasty habit of damaging other things in there, so examine everything
carefully. It may sound like something has fouled the selector
forks.

Damage *can* be pretty extensive, so be warned if you are
a bit squeamish :-)

Dismantling the OD is a bit harder, but again, you'd probably
see any damage easily.

With the gearbox and the OD, simply turning the incoming and outgoing
shafts by hand will usually reveal a lot.

Have a nice (albeit busy) weekend.

Egil

Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway
Web:   http://www.oslonett.no/home/egilk