Re: Serial numbers?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Serial numbers?
From: Bill Sohl Budd Lake <billsohl@planet.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 22:10:04 -400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, jshaw@enterprise.Dts.Harris.COM

On Fri, 30 Jun 1995, Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 jshaw@enterprise.Dts.Harris.COM wrote:
>
> > I just bought a 1963 mark 4. I need help in decoding the
> > serial numbers on the car. Can sombody help with this?
> > The comm no. is FC139 4 L and the engine number is FC34970ME.
> > There is also a small plate below the S/N 1423FC.
>
> The commission number, and the last number (which is the body number),
> indicate a fairly early production Spitfire 4. The engine number (BTW,
> that is probably "HE" for the last two letters, not "ME"), indicates a
> somewhat later, but still correct engine, perhaps mid- to late 1964
> Spitfire 4.

In addition to Andy comments, it is worth mentioning that the commission
number for the vehicle contains no identifying information about the
car except for the fact that it is a Spitfire for the year mentioned
(the FC is the Spitfire prefix and the low number indicates an early
car in the production run).  The "L" at the end indicates Left-hand
drive and the absense of an "O" after the L indicates the car did not
come with overdrive (an Overdrive car would be FC139 4LO).

Bill Sohl  K2UNK     (Budd lake, New Jersey)      (billsohl@planet.net)