Re: None

To: Mike_Smith@bbdotor.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: None
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 95 14:43:21 -0700
In message <00000012.qm@bbdotor.com> Mike Smith writes:
> None
> Can anybody help? I'm doing a frame off resto on a TR3A (69000 series car)
> and
> although I understand that invariably chassis were supplied in black this one
> seems to have been finished in signal red. This was definitely the original
> color as it appears under various components like the rear shocks etc. While
> that in itself seems not too odd, I believe that the car was originally black
> with red trim which seems a little peculiar.
> Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? It's obviously easy enough to redo
> in
> black, but if the red has any significance, then I'd like to retain it in the
> quest for originality. Thanks.

The factory wasn't concerned with originality, they were concerned about
building & shipping cars...sometimes when they were out of parts they
substituted whatever was handy. They  also did not like having leftover parts
sitting about.

It sounds like they were out of black paint the day they sprayed your car's
frame and used whatever was handy.  In your case signal red.  If you intend to
show in concourse, you should paint it black.  You probably won't be able to
convence a judge that his/her book is wrong for your car.  If you want to be
authentic for your car come Hell or concorse judges keep it red.

Many owners have the same problems with parts.  Books & manuals will say that a
part was used from commision # to commision # and they are mostly right.
However, the factory frequently found little caches of parts hidden in a back
corner that have been superseeded and used them up on cars being built.
Occasionally some parts seemed to have been test fitted on some cars.

The assembly people on the Triumph line unfortunatly did not read the judging
manual when building cars, but if you are restoring for show or for resale, it
would be a good idea to follow it faithfully...even if it is wrong for your car.

If your building for yourself do as your heart desires.

The TRA judging handbook is a "MUST" for a serious restoration that may expect
to enter a concourse or two.

TeriAnn Wakeman              .sig closed for remodeling
twakeman@apple.com