Re: Spitfire clutch rebuild & VB vs. TRF

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire clutch rebuild & VB vs. TRF
From: Provine@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 20:33:16 -0400
Bob Sykes (S1500@aol.com) wrote:

>>When restocking my hydraulic kits today, I called TRF. The clutch
m/c, s/c, as well as a brake m/c rebuild kit were all out of stock.
When the customer service person asked me if I would like to
put them on back order, I remembered "Hey I think I already have
something backordered from you guys".  Turns out I had ordered
some front motor mounts last December.  Still waiting.
I got the motor mounts from VB last december, in stock.
All the stuff I needed today was in stock at VB.  I think someone
is slipping here..................<<

I have found that the quality of the parts from TRF is much higher than those
from VB.  This is just my limited experience, as I only have one Spitfire.
 For example, I got a clutch M/C rebuild kit from VB.  It was apparently made
in the Far East.  When I rebuilt the M/C, it leaked like a sieve.  When I
used a kit from TRF, it had British packaging and still holds tight today.
 Just because a company can get inferior parts quickly, that doesn't
necessarily mean that you want to order from them.  Charles Runyon of TRF
discussed this in a recent issue of his "Triumph MG Newsletter".  I am
interested in others experiences as to the quality comparison.  After all, if
its a brake part, I want the best possible part no matter what the cost.

Dave Provine
provine@aol.com