TR-6 Rear hub tools wanted

To: THRD88B@prodigy.com (MR FRANK SIBLE)
Subject: TR-6 Rear hub tools wanted
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 14:32:21 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
MR FRANK SIBLE writes:

 > Does anyone have the tools to take apart and rebuild TR-6
 > hubs for sale? I would like to rebuild my own which is
 > probably a formula for disaster, but I'm going to give it a
 > try.

I recalled (three years back) going through this thought process.  I
got lucky, took my rear hub to a local british car shop and they were
able to adjust the hub for $25 (or was it $15?)  Anyway, there is a
small crush collar in there.  If it hasn't been completely crushed,
you might actually not need a rebuild.  Having said that...

Ian Macky (are you still on the list Ian?) made a diagram of a large
metal plate that fits onto the hub.  (It can be gotten via anonymous
ftp from "ftp://triumph.cs.utah.edu/sol/tr6_puller.ps";  Bolt this
plate onto the hub and you now have a back that can be used to pull
the hub apart.  (Of course I can't remember the details, Ian will have
to chime in on that.... Maybe I can dig up the article from an
archive.  It was in 1992...

Also, I've been told that 1 out of 3 hubs are trashed when using the
correct puller.  Ian's device is supposed to give extra support to
prevent bending the hub.

-Scotty "I think I've confused myself" Paisley