Re: Spit.Elec.Ign.

To: tomstory@slip.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit.Elec.Ign.
From: CWNicholls@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 08:32:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 95-09-25 01:58:52 EDT, tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
writes:

>Just got a couple more boxes of parts from Victoria British, which to add
>my two cents to the debate of Vendors I have never had a problem with. I
>have a general question concerning the electronic ignition kit that they
>sell from Crane. I got it on sale from them, and would like to install it
>in the next couple of days(no not FOR the next couple of days)...
>
>Has anyone installed one of these and have any horror stories or general
>hints and tips to provide? Does the ballast resistor need to be installed?
>74 engine with a MKII wiring harness (MKII car) Delco Distributor, Lucas
>aftermarket coil, yadda yadda yadda...

SWORDFISH

I installed the same Crane/Allison system on my '74 Spitfire, with their
"crome" ignition coil, and without the ballast resistor the coil got mighty
hot.  So did the electronics module.  I didn't think a ballast resistor was
needed since the stock coil had a sticker warning that IT needed one, so I
assumed there was one hidden somewhere.  I called Crane and got a couple of
stories.

First, measure the battery voltage at idle.  Should be 14.4 volts.  Then
measure battery negative to coil positive at idle.  It should be in the 7
volt range.  If so, everything's ok.  I did this without adding a ballast
resistor and passed the test.  However when driving around the coil got so
hot you couldn't touch it.  The chrome even started to discolor.  I called
them back.

Result, I now have a ballast resistor (chrysler style with a center bolt
hole) and the coil gets to around 115 degrees F (on the day I tested it on a
50 mile country drive).  I reccomend the ballast resistor (if your coil isn't
12Volt).

Mounting the resistor?  I bought a longer 1/4" bolt (I think a 2" or 2.5"
one) and a 3/4" cylindrical spacer with the right size hole in the center (at
home depot in the hardware/bolt section, I think it was part of some cable
thing...) and replaced the mounting bolt on the PWDA brake splitter with the
bolt, spacer ballast resistor nylon washer that came with the resistor, steel
washer.  Gets it up in the air, it does get hot.

Let me know what you end up with.  the key here is the voltage rating of your
coil.

By the way I'm running a delco distributor off an early Spitfire with vacuum
advance.  Runs great!