Re: siezed brake m/c<ECS9510021331B@elec.qmw.ac.uk>

To: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: siezed brake m/c<ECS9510021331B@elec.qmw.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 1995 13:57:42 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Phil wrote:-

>I checked this with John this very morning when placing an order for some
>other bits.  Basically, you can't get
>original cylinders.  These were of the type with a small capacity reservoir
>with an extra plastic section on top
>which increased the capacity to suit disc brake calipers.  These were a bit of
>a bodge and had a habit of leaking
>at the joint.  They were superceded by a succession of plastic reservoir
>cylinders, the latest of which was for the
>Toledo, I believe.  This was partly forced upon the suppliers because certain
>markets would not accept the
>original type anyway (France in particular) since they wanted the fluid to be
>clearly seen without having to
>remove the cap.

My 13/60 estate had the stupid plastic thing on top of the resevior, after
having it leak fluid everywhere, I ripped it off and threw it in the
bin(International translation - Trash can), The brakes still worked fine
although I did keep an eye on the fluid level.

Rich

>It makes no functional difference that the reservoir is not vertical, you just
>need to be sure that you've got plenty
>of fluid and that the cylinder has a 5/8" bore.

Also, if your chassis(Second International translation - frame)is rotten then
when the car bends in the middle the resevoir will appear upright ;-)

Rich

Hello Phil, are you goin' Duxford?