Oil Sump on 1500 spit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Sump on 1500 spit
From: "Chris Boston" <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 08:29:47 +0000
Good Morning,

I took my sump off the car last night...I needed to do an oil change anyway,
and the sump gasket has been leaking for a while...It came off very easily, and
cleaned up to a lovely condition.  The only crud in the bottom was a small
peice of either copper or card with a hole in it, it looked like the corner of
a gasket.  Any offers as to its origin?

Second problem, the Haynes talks about a gauze sump cover - not seen at this
address - was this only on early/late cars?

Finally, there are twelve short bolts and four long bolts.  I assume that the
four long bolts go to the back of the sump, but the BL manual only talks about
two long bolts, and the Haynes doesn't mention any.  Somebody please either
confirm that they go to the back, or stop me doing something silly.

Oh yes, I'm going to clean the oil pump tonight, any words of caution?

Thanks for your attention,

Chris.
       1977 - Spitfire 1500 O/D.

--
--
-- "What is the use ", asked Alice, "Of a book with no pictures?"