Re: ref. books for auto dummies

To: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: ref. books for auto dummies
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 11:38:21 PDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>>>GBSimcoe@aol.com said:
 >      Is there a TR6 book which has a trouble shooting guide..... you know if
 > your car is doing such and such these are the things to look at.  Also is
 > there a book either specifically for TRs, LBCs or just cars in general that
 > you would recommend as sort of an auto mechanics for dummies guide.

I like "How to Repair Your Foreign Car" by Dick O'Kane; a lovely little book
that alas is long out of print, and a bit dated (he talks about getting LBC
parts at the *DEALER* fer petes sake.  What's a "dealer"?)

But he gives a good overview of the systems in a car, how they work, how they
fail and how to fix them.  There's a long section on SU fuel pumps, for
instance, and another on waterproofing Jaguar ignitions, and one on early
Porsche fibre timing gears.

It's pretty funny too.

If you can find it in a used book store, or through one of the book search
agencies, BUY IT.

  --berry (wants a '54 Thrashwell-Snailby SS now...)

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center