triumphs@autox.team.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: triumphs@autox.team.
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 13:20:29 EDT

 To:    Triumph Mail List,      Triumph Subscribers     Inet

Last week, BearFL wrote:

Subject: Sagging rear spring on Spitfire?  HELP!

I recently purchased a '74 Spit, and got around to changing the
shocks last week.  I noticed the rear driver's side shock was
frozen when I took it off, but I didn't think much about it and
pitched it.  After putting the new shocks on (which I got at
Pep-boys for half of what they cost in the catalogs), I noticed
the car now leans to the left when viewed from the back.  I now
feel sure the PO of the car froze the rear shock in the extended
position to hide this defect.  My question is, is this dipping of
the left rear of the vehicle due to the leaf spring being worn on
the driver's side?  Is there any easier (cheaper) way to fix this
than to buy a new leaf spring and put it on?  (someone told me
there are bolt on helper shocks available for the Spitfire that
might solve the problem)

Probably the cheapest "fix" for your spring woes is to remove the
spring and take it to your local suspension shop where they can
"recurve" the leaf spring set to the proper camber.  Shouldn't
cost more than about $40 to $50 for the recurving, but of course
you will need to do all the labor to remove the spring.  I don't
know about the "helper" shocks you mentioned.  Never heard of them
and don't know where they would mount frankly.  Good luck.    :-)

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster and a cat named Flounder