Lack of Power under a load

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lack of Power under a load
From: Dave Barrans <daveb@earth.eng.vantageware.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 11:53:52 -0700
My son and I are bringing a 70' TR6 back to life. We have finished the body
and most of the electrical.
Our current problem is this:  it sound and runs fine at idle, however under
a load it has very little power and backfires on deceleration.

 The following has been done to date:

Carb mixture adjusted.
Timing set a 4 degrees.
Compression is good - 200 miles on new rings and bearings.
Valves adjusted.
New Crane electronic ignition, plugs, dist. cap & rotor.
New fuel filter

After we rebuilt & timed the engine the power was fine. It passed all the
Washington State emissions criteria except for "CO2 at idle". Since we had
not adjusted the carbs, we took it to a "British Specialty" shop. They
changed the timing and adjusted the carbs. When they were finished, the car
had "no power and ran rough". Upon review we discovered they had set the
timing incorrectly. We reset it to 4 degrees. STILL NO  POWER!!!

I suspect an igniton/distributor problem. Does anyone out there have a clue?
By the way, how much vacuum should there be on the vacuum advance line at idle?

One more, is the timing supposed to be ATDC or BTDC? I set it after the
rebuild to BTDC and it ran fine, but it looks like the Bentley book calls to
ATDC. ATDC seems strange to me.
Best Regards,

Dave