Re: Mk III Spitfire Timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mk III Spitfire Timing
From: jstrohm@unisql.unisql.com (Jim Strohm)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 10:10:26 CDT
On the 69s, you *need* to accurately determine TDC and mark the crank pulley,
then make an accurate timing mark.  None of the cranks or pulleys were
keyed exactly alike, and they differ from other years (hi DPOs!) but may
have been swapped.

My 69 was marked 30 degrees off, and I always timed for maximum thrust.
The mark was useless except to use as an indicator that my timing light worked.

My float bowls went dry too.  I recommend an electric pump -- I
got my last one at Autozone, a generic 3 psi unit that worked perfectly
but irrevocably thrust me into the DPO list.  Cost $15.

Jim
ex-69 Spit
ex-70 Spit
ex-72 Spit