GT6 Tuning/timing- Fixed!! :-)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 Tuning/timing- Fixed!! :-)
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 08:09:00 PDT
Well, got around to look at the GT6 last night.  Although I got a few
suggestions to put the carb needles back to origional, it was easier to
do the timing first.  I regapped the points and set the static timing to
10 degrees BTDC, part-way between the older GT6 spec of 13 and the smog
spec of 6.  My old setting (done dynamically) was **WAY** off, probably
retarded by 16-20 degrees.  The car runs great now, lots of power, no
carb backfiring and it runs cooler too.

Also, I took Bill Woodruffs advice and checked the throttle bypass
valves to correct the high idle problem.  Sure enough, a couple of turns
on the front carb bypass valve and it cured it.  It does seem to be a
bit flakey still, so I'll probably have to pull it off and clean it up
soon.

Thanks to everyone that responded, it was a great help!!

Mike