Spitfire temperature gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire temperature gauge
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 95 10:16:36 +0100
I have a '70 Spitfire with a 1500 engine fitted (a Triumph but not
a Spitfire engine). The engine seems to be running at correct temperature
(probably around 90 degrees Celcius, with the termostat (82 C) opening fine.
The temperature gauge however only reaches about 1/5 of the maximum, so I want
to check the gauge and the termometer in the waterpump. Does anybody know
the voltage range for the termometer and the mapping to temperature?
Even though the temperature here in Denmark is only about 45-60 degrees
Fahrenheit (10-15 degrees Celcius) now, it wasn't much different this summer.

Also, can the new engine be 'incompatible' with the termometer, that is
using a different voltage range?

I used to have the original 1300 engine and with that the temperature gauge
would typically stabilise a little past the N (halfway to max)

Thanks, Peter