Re: OD speedos

To: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: OD speedos
From: Ashley Southgate <ashley@chch.planet.org.nz>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 21:23:58 +1300
>Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 16:37:04 -0500
>To: triumphs@autox.team.net
>From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
>Subject: Re: OD speedos
>Sender: owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
>>Surely the only difference between pinions
>>could be the number of teeth on the cog, in which case the right pinion
>>would 'fit' the output shaft cog, too small a one wouldn't mesh at all,
>Hi The simple answer is that the output shaft for most overdrives is the
same size & also the cog,how do they get different gearing is simple,if you
study the output shaft you will see what is called a one worm start,a 2 worm
start,up to a 6 worm start.A 1 worm start has one just one line that goes
around the shaft,a 3 worm star t has 3 lines that are in parrarell,all this
does is make the wee cog wheel go 3 times as fast as a 1 worm start,do you
follow, i am building up overdrive for a TR3b out of a Triumph 2500 petrol
injection saloon car that has a A type overdrive which has a 4 worm start &
TR has a 6 worm start shaft,to correct this out of balance i will be fitting
a inline transfer box which are available in NZ, The number of worm start is
set to the wheel size of the car,the PI car has 13 inch wheels,TR has 15
inch wheels. Years ago when i used race VELOCETTE Motor bikes the oil pump
didnt put out enough oil,so to over come this we used to put in later oil
pumps that had a 2 start worm drive,got twice the oil flow than the early 1
start worm pump,both pumps had the same dia gears. Hope this little knowlege
is understood.

best wishes Ashley

Ashley Southgate
Otaio RD 1                             Internet    ashley@chch.planet.co.nz
TIMARU
NEW ZEALND              1960 350 Velocette Viper cubman,1948 mov velo
PHONE   064 3 6126644   1961 500cc Velocette Vemon cubman,1954 mac velo
FAX     064 3 6126644