Re: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil<199603020242.VAA18726@mh004.infi

To: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
Subject: Re: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil<199603020242.VAA18726@mh004.infi.net>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 1996 09:12:55 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>In answer, I will add that I understand that in England, the big car shows
>have a separate class for original, unrestored cars.  They are quite
>coveted.  Great idea!  Any confirmation on this from across the pond?

At the TSSC Stafford show there is a class for unrestored cars, I'm not sure
about other shows though.

>I am personally opposed to *over* restoration, and figure that an original
>car will show thru, whether cleaned and polished or not.

I quite agree, why have a show full of cars that are finished alot better than
when they left the factory, what is the point in having a car as an ornament
that decorates your garage, IT'S A BLOODY CAR THAT IS MEAN'T TO BE DRIVEN AND
ENJOYED!!  I honestly don't believe that you can get the same satisfaction from
a car by just sitting there polishing it!

>My prefence for British car shows is to just bring everybody together.
>There should be less concern over the condition of the car, and just be
>happy that your car arrived at the event.

I quite agree, to me, a car show is a social event, yes you can talk about your
Triumph(or whatever car you have), look at alot of other nice cars, buy spares,
but you CAN talk about other things if you want to.  That's what I like about
the crowd from my area(Leicester) in the TSSC, we all go to events, camp the
night, have a BBQ and a drink(or three), play some music and have a good laugh.
Fair enough, we all enjoy the cars, but at the end of the day they are the
medium that bring alot of like minded people together so that we all have a
good time.

>Whichever you prefer.  Never worry about being embarrassed about your car.
>Be proud, regardless of condition.  Wash the car if absolutely necessary.  :-)>

As I have said before, and as anybody who may have seen it can confirm(That
includes you Lennart), my car is a wreck!!  But, it gets me to work each day,
to shows, etc at the weekend and I STILL enjoy driving it.  It actually stole
quite alot of looks at the Spitfire weekend in Holland last year as it was
DEFINATELY the worse condition car there(I would have won the WRECK OF THE SHOW
award if I had entered without a doubt), whether this was because people got
fed up with looking at immaculate cars that obviously aren't used much(Asbestos
suit on) or just because they thought I was a heathen bas*ard for treating the
car like I do, who knows!  But at the end of the day, it ain't sitting in
someones garage/garden/scrapyard rotting away, it's being USED!

Oh well, time to shut up and await the flames.

Bye Bye

Rich - Spit MkIV
England.