[no subject]

From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:11:55 -0500
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
y weekend,

   British car mirrors were often installed at the dealerships where they
were sold.  Early cars tended to have the Lucas round fender mounted mirrors
and later cars tended to have a version of TEX's door mirror, which had a
break-away provision or a spring/flip mount.  Interior mirrors tended to have
a smallish field of vision and some were day/night equipped.

   Over the years, a variety of other mirrors may have been installed and so
matching mirror holes can be tricky.  Extraneous mirror holes can be welded
up during body and paint work.  The MGB door crack can be prevented by
supporting the door mirror from behind the doorskin and centering it across
the weak point.

For good outside vision, the mirrors may need to be fitted at different
places on the body.  Have a friend help to trial-position the passenger
mirror with you in the driver's seat.  Small glue-on convex mirrors can be
affixed off-center to flat door or fender mirrors to give a slight advantage.

    The wider big Healey rearview mirror can be fitted to the early Sprite or
Midget to help a bit.  Clear softtop windows are important.  The cool-looking
bullet mirrors on Triumphs may not offer enough field of view.  Door shape
may require spacers and mounts to position a mirror properly.

   If you rely heavily on mirrors, survey the mirrors at car meets before
selecting yours for practicality above style.  If you rely on head-turning
when you drive then you may be able to select more for style and symmetrical
placement.

Have fun,

Jeff and your friends at Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22031
(800) 527-3140
When it's broken and British
http://www.erols.com/mtrhd

Subj:   Convex vs. Plain Mirrors
Date:   96-03-08 07:09:44 EST
From:   cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk (Chris Boston)

I want to replace my aging door mirrors, but all the catalogues offer a
choice
of either plain or convex glass, which should I choose? I realise that a
convex
mirror will give me a larger field of view, but will probably distort and
make
things look further away.

Can anybody give me a definitive run-down on mirrors please?

Chris.
       1977 Spitfire 1500 O/D. (Everyday/Only Driver)