Re: Compression

To: CMaster808@aol.com
Subject: Re: Compression
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 11:42:37 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Am I barking up the wrong tree?
>
>With the gasket burnt between 3-4 is this telling me sonething?
>
>Is this the reason for no compression readings, or should their be
>something else.
>
>Going to put it back together tomarrow, unless theirs something else
>I should look for.
>

>                                 Thanks Chet

Chet,
 Boy, that's a tough one.
 There are lots of possibilities.
 You might put thehead back on and find you still have no compression.
Possible collapsed rings, worn rings and/or pistons.
 Question> Were you getting a lot of blue/white smoke? An indication of
collapsed rings. Also possible any smoke could have been coolant leaking
by gasket.
 Another possibility is warpped head. You can check this fairly easily
with a long straight edge.
 It is entirely possible and very likely that the gasket just gave way to
improper torque settings. Vibration of daily use can caused head bolts to
sometimes loosen.
 Best suggestion is to look closely at as much as to can see and put in a
new gasket. You may be tearing it down again soon, but you may also correct
the problem of no compression.
Hope it works out okay.
Best Regards,
 Tony R.