Re: Using low octane fuel - advice needed

To: drussell@cisco.com (David Russell)
Subject: Re: Using low octane fuel - advice needed
From: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:10:32 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Hi Pat,
>
>I'm replying to your email, not because I know the answer to your question,
>but because you are from New Zealand. I am too, although I now reside in
>the USA.
>
>I have a TR4A which is my fun car in the California summer (not right now,
>although the weather is getting better). As you may know almost all fuel in
>the US is unleaded, and relatively low octane. I put "super" unleaded in my
>Triumph and this is only 92 octane. It runs fine except for a little run on
>when turned off, but I cannot say how it is tuned.
>
>Out of interest, are there many TR4A's in New Zealand?
>
>best regards,
>David Russell

David,

The Vitesse has been running fine on its low octane diet.  In any case, I
think the premium unleaded will soon be given the all clear, so as long as
the new fangled Valvemaster anti wear additive does its trick I should be
OK. With regard to your question about the abundance of TR4As, TRs of any
flavour are fairly thin on the ground here.  I moved to NZ from the UK 2.5
years ago and the only TR I've seen  being driven regularly is a fairly
tatty TR6.  There is usually a TR4 for sale every few months or so in the
national classic car magazine (usually for upwards of NZ$20k) and it's
becoming quite popular to import them from the States, although some of
these imports end up listed in the ads as unfinished projects! GT6s and
Vitesses are also quite rare, Spitfires and Heralds are reasonably common
while the 2000/2500 saloons are ten to the dozen and very cheap, NZ$4k for
a really good one. The Heralds and Saloons are not really seen as
collectible and are usually used as a cheap means of transport and are not
particularly cherished by many of their owners.   By far the most popular
"classic" sportscar is the MGB GT and relatively cheap at NZ$12k for a nice
one.  Hope this is of interest.

Regards, Pat Edwards.

Dept. of Chemistry
Massey University