Re:TR6 - Diff. mount cracked

To: Rich Olson <rolson@faa.gov>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:TR6 - Diff. mount cracked
From: Glenn Franco <76644.2655@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 07 May 96 23:11:02 EDT
On Monday Rich Olson Wrote:
abbreviated
>Hello again!

>I just got back from work/vacation in London/Paris/Brussels.

>I removed the diff. on the '72 '6 last night and discovered the "Dreaded
>Cracked Front mounting"  Clean crack, not separated, yet.  Should I do like
>the TRF blue spare parts book (p201) technical note says and just "weld
>the crack" or is it advisable to renforce the mount with the 'boxing' kit?
>Car is daily driver (or will be soon!), no heavy slalom or races planned.

>Thanks
>RickO

Rich  I've done two of these frames with torn/cracked differential mounts. your
best bet is to do the TRF or Grassroots Motorsports (dates back to 91 or 92
calender year) issue on TR6 restoration.
Releive and weld up the cracks with a good MIG welder. Box in the Mounting
brackets and I have also used a backup plate mounted on the upper end of the pin
to spring crossmember. TRF still sells the pieces if you can't fabricate
locally.

This is a fairly easy proposition doing a frame off. If your trying to do this
with the body on I'd stick with the weld up the crack scenario.

Thanks again for the rear bumper overider. The check should have cleared a while
back. Now I have a matching set of front and rear with broken bolts that need
chroming.

good luck

Glenn Franco

email at 76644.2655@compuserve.com or GAF3@infoctr.chrysler.com

1971 TR6 (done, but still working on it)
1974 TR6 (hunting for performance parts like a limited slip)
1976 MGB (done, but still working on it)
1985 Jeep Scrambler (frame off fiberglass body restoration/almost done)