TR6 engine number

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 engine number
From: lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no (Lars G. Johnsen)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 17:08:05 -0600
To the TR6 number experts...

I have just bought a 74 Triumph TR6 via a car dealer in California, and the
car is now on its way to Norway. While the car is being shipped (the trip
takes about 4 weeks), I will get importation papers for it from TUV in
Germany.They need the engine number and commission number for the car in
order to produce the appropriate papers, so I asked the dealer to send
these numbers to me.

When I got the numbers, the engine number looked very strange, and I was
hoping someone on this list could tell me whether it is correct or not, and
if so, what it might be, so here it is as given to me buy the car dealer:

CF 262634 E

The number appears to have too many digits in it; what I expected were
something like CF XXXXX UE, that is, 5 digits followed by UE. It seems that
the last digit 4 is a misread U. The commission number looks normal though,
being CF27324U0.

I asked the dealer whether he could check this out for me, but then car was
already loaded into a container and stored in the boat.

Hope anyone can tell me whether the number might be correct, or if it is
definitely wrong.

Thanks,

Lars G. Johnsen

lars.johnsen@nora.hd.uib.no