Pop goes the weasel - TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Pop goes the weasel - TR6
From: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 10:39:44 PST
     Hi folks:

     I'm the one who was asking about a source for the transmission-to-
     J-type overdrive adaptor plate last week. I found one, courtesy of
     Bill King (Thanks, again, Bill!) and I'll list the source's name at
     the end of this missive.

     So I'm all set to do my OD conversion just as soon as the parts
     arrive, but the '6 has other ideas. Sound familiar? We're out tooling
     around the Berkeley Hills on Memorial Day, enjoying the sunshine, when
     the engine note goes off song, as our British friends might say :-).
     Check out the plugs, getting lots of spark from the plug wires, limp
     home and do a compression check: 125 lbs in the first five cylinders,
     15 in number 6! No oil burning, no coolant steaming but when I do the
     compression check I can hear the compression going ffftt! fffftt! out
     of the back of the head gasket.

     So I've got everything disconnected from the head, including all 14
     head nuts (and some studs - why can't they use bolts like everyone
     else?), exhaust manifold is disconnected, water pump body is out of
     the way, but that puppy just doesn't want to come off. I turned the
     engine over with the spark plugs back in their holes but it didn't
     pop. I can't seem to get even a thin blade between the head and block
     to begin prying it up. Anybody got any tried and true methods for
     loosening these suckers up? Have I missed a secret bolt or nut
     someplace?

     Jim Sudduth
     Ailing '74 TR6 CF20076U

     And the source for the adaptor plate is:

     Quantum Mechanics (John Esposito) <--- Great Guy
     505 Wheeler Rd
     Monroe,CT  06468

     203-261-0845
     203-459-9612