TR6 Rear End (continued)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rear End (continued)
From: mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 05:14:45 -0400
Encoding: 1318 Text
Finally got all the trailing arm bushings out last night and am now ready
for reassembly with new parts (assuming they've arrived as promised).
Thanks to the various suggestions which Brian Lanoway gathered up and
tested, then passed on to the rest of us.  Just a couple of amendments:

1)  When using the threaded rod extraction method, do not use 1/4" rod.  It
    snaps quite nicely under stress.  The second attempt saw me using 5/16"
    with success but there's room for 3/8" which would surely be strong
    enough to do the job without risking injury.

2)  Heat is useful if the bushings don't wish to be extracted.  After
    wrenching on the threaded rod/nut with dubious results a satisfying pop
    can be produced when a propane torch is used to heat up the metal to
    release the rubber-induced tension.  Out she comes!

Now, assuming the parts have arrived, it's time to test the theory in
reverse, with a dash of dishwashing soap.  Of course, I'm *really* looking
forward to installing the new u-joint, given the fun I had removing the old
one.  I may take it to a machine shop to have it pressed in if this doesn't
go smoothly.  No problem bashing old parts but I'm not inclined to do same
to new ones ;-)

Still hackin' away...

Mike Himelfarb.