TR-3 Starter - Thanks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3 Starter - Thanks
From: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul g. Wiegman)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 05:57:14 -0700
Thanks to those that offered a variety of suggestions and locations to
repair/replace the starter in my TR3.

In short, for those of you who are blessed with a "long nose" (starter
that is), forget it !!!!!!

Apparently they are not made, seldom rebuilt properly, and those that
are out there may last anywhere from a day to 10 years.  Replacing one
that can't be repaired is somewhat hopeless.

I had several people tell me that the best solution is to replace the
flywheel and use a newer model starter that can even still be purchased
at a good parts store (Western Auto/Parts America was able to a 1959-on
easily).

The really best solution is to replace the flywheel, clutch, and
transmission with later model parts up to a TR6.  For the purist this
is unthinkable, but this car is far from virgin.

Thanks again.

Paul g. Wiegman
Allison Park, PA