Spitfire Mk3 Accelerator Shaft Bushings

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Mk3 Accelerator Shaft Bushings
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@icis.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 18:57:48 -0400
Here's hoping that your collective genius comes to the rescue once
again. I will be putting my recently acquired 1970 Spitfire Mk3 on the
road in the next few weeks.  As purchased, the bushings in the firewall,
through which the accelerator shaft travels, are non-existent.  I have
obtained replacements; removed the cotter pin on the passenger side end
of the shaft; removed the lever that operates the throttle linkage;
but...

How do I get the shaft out so that the driver's side bushing can be
inserted?  The centre (oops...center) section that is basically in a "U"
shape arount the transmission is catching on the firewall on the
driver's side.  Prying it while striking the passenger-side end with a
soft-faced hammer has allowed some movement but I am concerned that if I
ever get it all the way out, I will never get it back in with the
bushing in place.

Am I missing something?  Who has 'been there', 'done that'?

Thanks in advance and please reply directly as well as to the list
because I subscribe to the digest version and sometimes it is two or
three days before the mail arrives...you know, far northern outposts,
rugged terrain, etc. etc.
--

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart