Re: Bleeding Mystery

To: 100304.2046@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bleeding Mystery
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:39:12 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-29 10:01:09 EDT, 100304.2046@CompuServe.COM
(GB79fyR9) writes:

>Question of the day is from France about bleeding brake's circuit on
>Spitfires.
>Have you ever had a look *inside* a rear wheel cylinder ? Because it's the
>place
>where begin the mystery : the small hole for the bleeding screw is not at
the
>top of the cylinder, as always seen in every other cars, but, more or less,
>in
>the *middle* of the cylinder ! Is there someone who can explain to me how we
>can
>push the air out in these conditions ? After bleeding half of the cylinder,
>brake fluid will go out without air, but the upper half of the cylinder
>(assuming air is lighter than brake fluid..) will be full of air ??!!??
>
>Francois Demont 100304.2046@compuserve.com

Francios:

I hope this string is not cold, I know it goes back about 1 week but I have
been very busy (working 14 hous per day) working a full time job, runing a
business on the side and starting another one as well.

I think the bleeding theory works like this:

When the brakes are properly adjusted the wheel cylinder piston is fully
retracted into the cylinder and there is very little volume left to hold
either fluid or air.  Concequently if this volume is half filled with air
there is still very little air in there and not enough to cause a problem.

I hope this answer helps.  I also hope it is correct (:>)

Dave (I don't have enough time to work on my car) Massey
TR6Massey@aol.com

P.S. how was the Alsace car gathering? And did you get to see the Schlumph
Museum? (Le Musee National de L'Auto in Mulhouse, the home of about half of
the extant Bugati's )