Sarasota, Florida Trip

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sarasota, Florida Trip
From: smith007@IntNet.net (PHILIP SMITH)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:34:19 -0500
Made a day of it today,went to Sarasota to check out a 1974 Tr6, for sale
in the Sportscar trader. Add read: exc. cond, totally restored, red lines,
no rust, new clutch, shocks, $7295 obo. So I go see the car, the guys got
it at his place of employment. Parked on the 4th floor of his bank in which
he's the CEO.
                                      In the first place, the
doors,trunk,hood, none of it,even comes remotely close to lining up.Not
even if you were totally blind. Then of course there was the daylight
shinning through the bottom, drivers side floorboard.Many,many points of
light, ( I think a thousand points of light)? Then there was the drive
test, every time I let the clutch out very quickly,sounded as if an M80 had
exploded.So as I returned to the CEO,I thanked him,told him, he had a
really nice car, but that it definitely was not a $7200 dollar car.So,then
I go to this Vintage dealer in Sarasota, and drive this 75 TR6, French
Blue( great body,everything tight,really tight,needs repaint) OVERDRIVE,
works well, runs like a bat out of hell. My 9 yr old said I was doing 80mph
in 2nd gear(this must be a physical impossibility? I was look'n at the red
line) Anyway the guys asking $6900, and I'm thinking overdrive.So then I
look for matching numbers. This is what I found VIN:1975 Made in Feb.
#cf35036uo maybe? Engine:c58819e maybe? Am I correct, that this is not the
original engine? Is this a 1976 engine ,or is it possible this is the
original. I would like to return, take the car to a British mechanic, have
him check it out and possibly make an offer. If the engine and body match?
Can anybody help?

                                         Not SO Soon To Be TR6 Owner
                                         Still Bark'N Up A Tree
                              ( I wish people were honest in their advertising)