Re: Steering rack woes

To: lherault@acs.bu.edu
Subject: Re: Steering rack woes
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 96 14:38:21 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Showing its age, my steering rack has started to slide about an inch or so
>from side to side when I move the steering wheel.  I'm guessing that the
>rubber mounts have died.  In looking over the  replacement protocol, I
>noticed that a special tool is needed to compress the rubber.  Has anyone
>done this?  Does someone have the tool to borrow/rent?  Where does the tool
>engage, between the two mounting u bolt housings or between some frame
>member and each single housing in turn?
>
>Ron

Ron,
 I have done the rack bushings on GT6s and TR4. Don't recall the need for
special tools.
 I usedlonger bolts on a temporary basis, to pull the bracket down onto
the bushing and frame. Lubricated with silicone spray. When bushings were
almost completely compressed, I was able to remve one bolt at a time,
replacing it with the original and complete the installation.
Hope it helps.
Best Regards,
Tony
###