Re: Problems tunning dual SU HS2's on Spitfire <960618182851

To: CBrown1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Problems tunning dual SU HS2's on Spitfire <960618182851_559026639@emout15.mail.aol.com>
From: Dave Chu <dave@ECE.concordia.CA>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 01:14:41 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

In message <960618182851_559026639@emout15.mail.aol.com>you write:

>With the carb off the manifold, and the vacuum chamber/piston removed, sight
>through the intake of the carb (filter side). With the idle speed screw fully
>off, you should see NO light around the throttle plate. It that plate doesn't
>fit exactly in the throat of the carb, you'll never get it to idle properly.

  Give the man a cigar.  I disassembled the whole thing last night and
  checked everything over.  The only thing that was not right was the
  front throttle plate.  It was not sealing completely.  I readjusted
  both front and rear plates, I could not get both of them to seal to
  the point where there was no light, but it was very close.

  I double checked everything, reassemble and replace the SU's back
  onto the car.  Crank it for about 5 seconds, the engine started
  right up and I was able to bring the idle speed down.  It was getting
  late and I did a quick sync of the carbs and adjust the mixture.  Got
  it running and took it out for a spin.  The car has never driven this
  well before, it was pulling on every gear till ~4000RPM.  There are
  still more finer adjustments to be made because the exhaust note is
  not very even.

>You may be encountering the same problem we went around and around with a few
>weeks ago - different fuel levels between front and rear carbs. If the fuel

  On the mark again.  After my run I check the fuel level, the front level
  was higher than the rear(actually I couldn't see the rear one).  I'll
  work on the car and fine tune it more this weekend.  In the mean time
  I have to let those cuts on my hands to heal a bit.  I also hurted
  my index finger turning the mixture adjustment nuts, but it was worth it.
  Another bonus was that my overdrive has decided to work again.  I guess
  my little Spitfire just wanted some attention.  Thanks to everyone who
  responded.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H915       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html