Spit oil pressure

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit oil pressure
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 19:05:00 -0640
>Hey group, let's do an informal survey on oil pressures. I've go two
>Spits, both running 20w-50 Valvoline Durablend. On hot summer days,
>after a highway drive, or a couple of autocross runs, my pressures drop
>to about 15 psi at idle. Is that 50 psi typical for bigger block TRs?
>How about you other Spit drivers - you guys have installed a real oil
>pressure gauge, haven't
>you?

>Just curious,
>Charlie B.
>Capital Triumph Register

Okidokie Charlie!

Installed new main and con rod bearings in my '74 Spit 1500 less than
2000 miles ago.  Did not machine the crank or service the oil pump.

Reading with Castrol 20W-50:

70 psi @ 1100 rpm, cold start
50 psi @ 2000 rpm, hot engine
20 psi @  850 rpm, hot engine.

My haynes only mentions oil pressure at 2000-3000rpm. I'm not
worried about the low numbers at idle.  At least I wasn't until
that "Mace" guy rocked the boat. :-)

Tom O'Malley
'74 Spit