Re: TR6 Interior

To: tr6@usa.pipeline.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Interior
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 17:33:51 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-25 06:38:25 EDT, tr6@usa.pipeline.com (Ronald Olds)
writes:

>My question today is regarding covering the rear wheelarches. I have some
>foam pading that came from TRF which is thin and is in two pieces for each
>side. It looks like these pieces overlap each other.  Should they be left
>overlapping or should they be trimmed so that they don't overlap at all?
>Should I even use these pieces or should I use some of heaver sound damping
>material?  Should thes pieces be glued to the wheelarch first and the vinyl
>trim piece then glued to these or should they be glued to the vinyl  trim
>piece first and the assemble glued to the wheel arch?  The vinyl trim piece
>looks as if it will need to be streched tight to get the wrinkles out from
>around the seam for the radius? Is this normal?

The vinyl trim pieces over the rear wheel wells just happen to be the ONLY
parts I have not removed from my 73 TR6 (worlds longest running TR6
restoration)  I was thinking of masking this area when I paint the body
rather than removing and replacing these pieces because a)they are in perfect
shape and b)yes they are stretched tight and look like they would be hard to
put back that way.
However I did just go out lift them up for a peek underneath. There are
indeed 2 thin foam pads underneath on each side. They overlap. It appears the
first piece installed is the one on top of each arch, with the second piece
applied to the vertical surface inside each wheel arch and overlapping the
first piece. The edge of the second piece seems to line up with the piping on
the vinyl piece which covers it. This makes it hard to tell there are 2
pieces of foam under there that overlap.
Therefore IMHO best procedure would be to forget about putting anything
thicker under there as the vinyl will have to be stretched tight to look
right in this area and definitely glue  the foam pads on first and then
install the vinyl over them.
Hope this helps!

Jack Mc
1973 TR6 CF870U (worlds longest running TR6 restoration)