Copy of: RE: TR6 oil pressure & spin-on oil filter

To: Triumph Digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Copy of: RE: TR6 oil pressure & spin-on oil filter
From: Brian Lanoway <76214.2773@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 27 Jun 96 23:26:58 EDT
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:   Brian Lanoway, 76214,2773
TO:     Tom Tweed, INTERNET:ak627@dayton.wright.edu
CC:     Triumph Digest, INTERNET: triumphs@autox.team.net
DATE:   25/06/96 9:15

RE:     Copy of: RE: TR6 oil pressure & spin-on oil filter

on June 24, 1996 Tom Tweed wrote....

>Are you absolutely, positively sure that when you installed the spin-on
>convertor, you located the o-ring correctly against the block mating surface?
>That looks to me to be the most dangerous part of installing one
>of those, which I too have, on my TR-250...

>The reason I'm wondering about this is that a few years ago a friend's
>TR-6 launched rods #1 and #5 sideways out thru the block, and upon our
>autopsy of the engine, we found a mashed, displaced o-ring in the spin-on
>convertor. Could the oil pump have been madly pumping oil in a tight
>circle, with that displaced o-ring providing the short-circuit ??

God Tom, you give me the shivers!

I did use a heavy grease to install the inner o-ring on the spin-on filter
adaptor, but since you can't see the damn thing after you install it, you never
absolutely, positively know if you got it right - unless you take it apart,
which means that you've then got a second chance to get it wrong....

Since the oil pressure sensor measures the pressure in the oil flow path through
the block at a different location from the filter, and since I'm getting the
'recommended' 40psi at 2000 rpm when hot, I'm assuming (no, hoping) that I don't
have such a short-circuit - or even if I do, I've still got enough pressure
(and therefore flow) to service all the rotating bits in the engine.

On second thought (I wish I had a diagram of the engine's oil flow path), if you
do have such a short-circuit, wouldn't the oil simply by-pass the filter on it's
way to the rest of the block - with the unfiltered oil still getting to all
those rotating bits providing the necessary, but dirtier lubrication?  SOL'ers
Tom and I could use your help here...  what is the effect of a improperly seated
inner o-ring on this spin-on oil filter adaptor?

Nevetheless, since no one else has reported such a 5 to 10 psi drop in oil
pressure after installing the spin-on filter, I'm going to take my adaptor off
this weekend and visually inspect that inner o-ring.  I'll let you and the list
know what I find.

Thanks for the input.  I agree, life with a TR isn't right unless you're
constantly worrying about it!

Regards,
Brian
73 TR6