TR4 doesn't want to start; really need advise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 doesn't want to start; really need advise
From: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca (Mark and Judy Dalmaijer)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:59:16 GMT
Hello All

I have a TR4 I bought last summer which started OK (but not great) last year
and then this year has been starting poorly. It would take a lot of
cranking, pulling out the choke, pushing it in, flooring the gas and then no
throttle and FINALLY it would start. Once warm the engine started fine.

I just recently put in new stock air filters, plugs, condensor and points,
cleaned the fuel screen and bowl of all sediment and tried centralizing the
jets according the Bentley manual. I also removed the air pistons and
cleaned them up as well as the bores.
Now it isn't starting at all and will after a lot of cranking cough and come
close to starting and die. When I pull the plugs they don't seem to smell
too strongly of gas as I assumed they would with all the choking. What is
the best method to measure how well the fuel pump is working? Measure a
volume/minute or pressure?

The Bentley manual is fantastic but unfortunately I am a "wanna-be" mechanic
and need some help in problem solving which this manual doesn't really do. I
would appreciate any helpful advise which would let me enjoy my car for the
short summer that we get here in Alberta, Canada.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Mark Dalmaijer