Re: Re[2]: "eau de Castrol"....

To: PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: "eau de Castrol"....
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:41:16 -0400

<< In the early sixties, when a bunch of us wanted to impress our racing
      friends (since the competitiveness of our LBCs was failing) we used
      (burned) castrol not only for its excellent lubricating properties,
      but specifically because it produced a distinct exhaust smell like
      special fuel cars left behind...a not so faint, machismo aura,
      of...well,... we thought, racing history and penache!   >>

Have you read any accounts of the WWI pilots flying behind engines lubricated
with castor oil?  The fumes had the same effect as drinking the stuff.  They
used to drink peach brandy as an antidote.  At least one account has an
Allied pilot literally hanging over the side of the cockpit and, well, you
know... when he was jumped by a German, who (the legend goes) let him get
away, figuring he had enough trouble...

I used to sometime get a slight tinge of the same trouble after racing
go-karts in the early '60's, when most of us still ran castor oil.  That
unburned castor oil can get to you!!

-Karl