Re: Clutch

To: kevin andrews <kevina@wolverine.emji.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@cris.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 17:18:06 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
kevin andrews wrote:

> Thanks for the info on a clutch guys. I talked to my local parts store and
>they can get the whole kit for just over $100. But I think it's a
rebuilt B&B. Should I get new or the rebuilt?
> Also, I like to thank yall for the info on the R&P.
> Kevin Andrews aka BUBBA
> TR-250 CD7766L

Bubba,

    I'd recommend getting a new clutch. A few years ago, I bought a
rebuilt clutch from my NAPA parts dealer to put install on my freshly
rebuilt engine for my '78 Spitfire 1500 (which used to be my every day
driver).      Since it was a NAPA rebuilt clutch, I figured it
would be O.K.. I even had the fly wheel machined to make sure the job
was done right. After starting up, warming up, and adjusting the "new"
engine, I hopped in for a test run...and the clutch chattered.
    The chattering lessened with time (and miles) but I had learned
my lesson. I could have complained and gotten my money back or an ex-
change, but I didn't feel like going through the entire chore of re-
placing  the clutch again.
    Many people have used rebuilt clutches without any problems but
I don't think I'd risk it again, especialy on a Triumph where you
must remove the entire interior to pull the tranny out.

                   JOE IV
                   TR 250