Re: TR6 Transmission Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission Oil
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 18:41:13 -0400
Hello Peter,

Don't know if this is a rock-solid reason, but if you are draining out
old gear oil and replacing it with 20w50 engine oil, I think the biggest
problem will be the detergent that's in the engine oil, but not in the
old gear oil.  Any old sludge, dirt, metal shavings etc that might be in
the bottom of your gear box might be loosened up and suspended in the oil,
and there's no filter to remove them here, as there is in the engine.

If you have already been using 20w50 and have gone through a drain/refill
or two with it, then there's likely no problem with it.  It probably helps
quite a bit to have the lighter weight oil in the winter, I assume that's
why you're interested.  But if you're just now changing to the 20w50, you
might see what your local mechanics or fellow listers recommend in the
way of a flush, or a drain/refill again soon, to avoid having the deter-
gent keeping a lot of nasty stuff circulating around inside your trans.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
TR-250
SW Ohio