Re: More on tightening wire wheels <960818230700_101551.20_I

To: Keith Bennett <101551.20@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: More on tightening wire wheels <960818230700_101551.20_IHK57-1@CompuServe.COM>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 21:13:04 PDT
Cc: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Keith Bennett said:

 > An interesting side note is that on some cars of 50s & 60s with

 > ordinary steel wheels, handed wheel nuts were used. Here the geometry
 > is reversed as there is an inside taper on the wheel and an outside
 > taper on the nut. This means that this rolling action will make loose
 > nuts turn faster than the wheel. The theory says that, in this case,
 > wheels on left hand side of the car would have a left hand thread,
 > and on the right hand side would have a right hand thread, which is
 > the opposite of the situation with wire wheels. Does anyone out there
 > have such a car, and can they confirm this??

I have a '51 MkVI Bentley with opposite handed wheel studs on each side.  I
just went out to the garage to check, and the "Off -->" stamp points in the
direction opposite that which the wheel turns in forward travel.  That is, to
remove the nuts on the left side turn them clockwise (looking at the wheel
from the outside) and the right side, counterclockwise (CCW).

This means that the right side has (ummm, visualize wheel on right front,
arrow points this way, curl fingers of right hand that way (CCW) point thumb
out, yep) right hand threads and left hand threads on the left.

I think this verifies your theory, but I wonly report the data; I will let
others interpret it.

This finger trick, by the way, is very handy, pun intended.  For right hand
threads, use your right hand.  Point your thumb in the direction you wish the
fastener to move, and curl your fingers around the axis.  Now turn the
fastener in the direction your fingers point and it will move the way your
thumb points.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center