Re: Towing a TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph@igc.net
Subject: Re: Towing a TR6
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:06:49 -0700

> Does anyone have any experience with flat-towing a TR6?  I friend of mine
> wants to pull his behind his motorhome with a tow-bar...not on a trailer.
> Will this harm the transmission in any way?  Can anyone think of a
> mechanical reason not to do this?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Chad

Chad,

There is a definite potential for transmission harm. The oil is normally
distributed
by the spinning of the gears. In the case of towing, the output shaft is
spining by
itself and there is no circulation of oil in the gearbox. This means the output
shaft is depending on the lubrication left after the last powered excursion. I
have
heard of cars being towed across the country with no immediate negative results.
(I didn't follow this cars history for very long.) I have also heard of
attemping to
tow across Arizona and the transmission seizing up.

So don't try to tow across Arizona!

;-)

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer