Head gasket: Which way is up?

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head gasket: Which way is up?
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 30 Aug 96 13:01:39 EDT
Fellow gearheads,

While preparing to measure the compressed thickness of my shim-steel head
gasket, I realized I couldn't tell top from bottom!  The thing is perfectly
symmetrical.  The only difference is that there are grooves stamped into it,
which of course causes ridges on the opposite side.  Should it go grooves up or
ridges up?  I'm thinking ridges up, but I thought I'd check.
I also found that the gasket appears to be binding on the head studs.  I think
this is preventing it from seating fully.  I measured a compressed thickness of
0.024", which seems high.  Any problems with clearancing out the stud holes in
the gasket with a grinder or file?
 Are there any other implements of destruction that would be better?  Should I
take some 8 x 10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows on the back?
(Cheap joke, I know.)

kill, kill, KILL...,

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com