Re: Spit Mk.3 Steering Trouble

To: Bernard Christian-Woodruff <Bernard.Christian-Woodruff@ping.be>
Subject: Re: Spit Mk.3 Steering Trouble
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 1996 20:34:33 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, odd@triumphclub.se
Bernard Christian-Woodruff wrote:

> Help!
> The first problem to tackle on my newly acquired '69 ex-Texas Mk3
> Spit is the steering. I can move the steering wheel about 10 de-
> grees before anything happens. This makes driving an interesting
> experience as the car basically goes where it wants and the driver
> is left to continually adjust....
> The problem is easy to spot - the steering column flexible coupling
> is guilty of sloppy play. I have two questions:
> 1. Can this item be adjusted or does it mean a new one is necessary?
> 2. Is the car safe to drive like this i.e. is this a problem that <    gets
>worse and eventually ends up with no steering at all (sudden-
>    ly)? Or is it just acceptable wear and tear that ought to be fixed
>    at some point?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Bernard.

Fix it as soon as possible!
It's easy to fix with a new Hardy disk in the coupling.
And:  -it shouldn't cost You an arm and a leg either... ;-)

/
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4               International liaison secretary,
S-74236 Östhammar  Sweden   Triumph Club of Sweden
                            '70 Spitfire Mk3 FD82497LO Signal Red
E-mail: odd@triumphclub.se  Club URL: http://www2.passagen.se/triumph/
Telephone: Int+ 46-1731 7131
Position:  N 60deg15min  E 18deg23min