Spitcire clutch

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitcire clutch
From: Julian Daley <j.daley@umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:04:19 +0100 (bst)
Some of you may recall the problems I've been having over the years with
the clutch on my Spit 1500.  The symptoms are that when you are trying to
move off slowly you start to move off OK and then suddenly the clutch
snatches (I hope that word isn't rude in American !) ie goes all the way
engaged.  This can be embarasing in a traffic jam !  Sometimes the clutch
won't fully disengage and you have to hold the car on the brake and bash
the gear lever out of gear.

I've serviced the master and slave cylinders and replaced the clutch to
no avail.  John Kipping suggested that the seal at the front of the 'box
may have broken.  This seal has a sleeve on which the release bearing
slides and if this sleeve breaks off then the release bearing can slide
sideways off the the clutch spring.  So I ripped out the 'box (again) to
have a look and all seems fine.  I'm about the replace the release bearing
carrier and the whole clutch (again) but I don't know what else to check.

Anyone seen this sort of problem or got any wild guesses ?

Julian.
          Julian Daley, Dept. Clinical Physics, Guy's Hospital, London