Re: U-joint (not) sound

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U-joint (not) sound
From: rjannelli@UNCC.CAMPUS.MCI.NET (Ralph Jannelli)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:39:04 -0400 (EDT)

>Interesting coincidence, my '74 Spitfire suffers the same noise when
>quickly releasing the throttle, or just bad timing during a shift. I
>replaced the U-joints
>on the 1/2 shafts a year ago and only drove a few hundred miles since.
>The prop shaft looked in good condition then too. My guess, and I
>haven't got back under to confirm this, is the bushings that the
>differential mounts to have seen better days. Since it's usually under
>torque when driving, backing off the throttle would change the
>"direction" of the force and with any play in the mount it would slap
>back the other way. Well, that's a semi-educated guess for now. I'd like
>to know if it turns out to be something different.
>
>Dave (daveejay@peak.org)

Another problem area is the yoke on either the half shaft or differential
flange, these are the round bits that the "cups" of the u-joint fit into. If
they become worn or out of round the cups will knock around. This can be
verified by looking at the end of the cups where the curclips mount, if
shinny then this could be the problem. The only way to fix that I know is to
replace the offending piece.

Ralph Jannelli
'72 Spitfire MKIV daily driver
'65 Spitfire MKII freshly restored