Re: Northeast Kingdom LBC report & theoretical speed question...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, zimerman@MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Northeast Kingdom LBC report & theoretical speed question...
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:41:26 -0700

> Hello all-
>    I sit sniffling in Northern VT because my TR6 is still at the body shop
> following an involuntary externally-generated morphic adjustment. :-) I
> have seen the progress, however, and all looks good, and on their insurance
> co's $, too, so I'll live...two bits for the list.  One, while up here, on
> the last northern 30 miles of I-91 in VT before the CA border, I spotted:

OK now I'm confused...I live in CA and I don't know of a state VT that borders
CA. AZ, NV, OR yes,...VT?

Could this possibly be CAN?  :-)

> '66 MGB tooling along at 80mph. (I know, I know...)
> '72 (I think) Primrose Yellow TR6
> ?? AH3000 (passed ME, and I was going 80 in my rentabox)
>
> ...looks like LBC's alive and well.

In CA very true!  :-)

> Here's my question.  It's about turbos and superchargers, so should be a
> theoretical question to most of this list (and the rest of you, I want
> blueprints NOW. :-) )  Anyhow:  I know that an intercooler is designed to
> cool the air passing through a turbocharger in order to up the boost, since
> the air is heated by the compression in the turbo.  If I'm not wildly wrong
> (a possibility!) a supercharger does much the same thing as a turbo, except
> it runs off motive engine power rather than exhaust gas pressure.  So, would
> an intercooler improve performance on a supercharged engine as well?

Short answer...yes. The exhaust heat adds considerably to the turbo output temp
so the cooling is more advantageous in the turbo application.

> Thanks...it's just been bugging me...mostly because I've been eyeing a
> supercharged MR2 as my 'winter' car... :-) :-)

Intercooling would probably not help in the winter. I would expect fuel
condensation
and considerable puddling.

> -JBZimmerman!

Cheers,