Re: Hail Lucas!!

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Subject: Re: Hail Lucas!!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:54:37 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 rgs03@health.state.ny.us wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>wrote:
>
> >. . .Damn that light switch, already 5 miles on the freeway, OK. . .

> Barry, You didn't say which car you were driving, but if it was the '72
> Spit, the switch is likely to be Clear Hooters, not Lucas. CH is even
> worse for quality than the Lucas reputation. We've learned. We always carry
> a spare CH switch in the tool kit. Something to think about.

Actually there was a factory recall involving these switches years ago,
involving most TR6, GT6 and Spitfires 1969-76. The Clear Hooters switches
were SO bad...

Ed: How bad were they?

Johnny, raising one eyebrow: They were SO bad, Leyland replaced them
with Lucas switches!

Ed: Hey-OOOoo

Sidebar:

Many years ago, I was given one of those cheapo, plug-into-the-lighter air
compressors as a nice thing to have when I needed it (which has been
often over the years). After a couple of years, it got so it wouldn't do
anything when you flipped the switch. Hoping the whole thing hadn't
died, I removed the switch, tried an old fog lamp switch I had kicking
around, and got the compressor to work again just fine.

Molded into the side of the dead switch were those three little words so
many of us seem to fear above all others:

MADE IN ENGLAND

No other markings; I've always suspected it was a Clear Hooters switch.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *